Thursday 22 March 2012

NFFC vs Derby County 13.03.12

It's that time of year again. When my University deadlines are approaching at a ridiculous rate, I have society restraints flying at me left, right and centre and Forest seem to be playing at home every time they play, either that or I'm able to go and watch the away game. The latter being the case this time around. 

I had to miss the earlier fixture between the two sides due to being at a Channel Four open day. It says a lot about my passion for this fixture, that I genuinely contemplated missing the career opportunity just to see the match. Whatever team you support, you will know the feeling of when a good ol' rivalry is approaching. Forest vs Derby is the game that I always look for when the fixtures first appear. 

The away day was then postponed so this game felt like it had been a long time coming. Such a shame that by the final whistle, it was a huge anti-climax. 

I fancied our chances. Derby had had their annual decline after showing promising early signs and we were beginning to show that we had the fight to stay in this division. 

But despite a sell out crowd, a tenacious atmosphere and fighting talks from both camps, the game simply never got going. A boring, drab affair that wasn't worth the £32 I spent.

Overall, as much as it pains me to say it, the game probably went the way it should have done. Derby were better on the ball, played the nicer football and controlled more of the game. We were simply overwhelmed by the occasion.

But let them enjoy this, we took six points last season and look how quickly that has come and gone! Beating Derby isn't the priority this season, making sure we are still in the same division to play them next season is far more important.

We missed Higginbotham hugely but when have I not said that? He marshalls the defence brilliantly and we need to get him and keep him fit.

Although both the team and the individual performances were not good enough - and the main reason why I won't be doing players ratings due to repeating myself - the shift that Blackstock and Tudgay put in up top must be commended. The service to them was dreadful all night but the pair of them never stopped running. Just a shame that 'Tuds' was a tad too over enthusiastic and got himself a one match ban.

There have been rumours flying round regarding Luke Varney, (although I hear that one has fallen through. Sad state of affairs when we can't even get a striker from a club that is begging money, saying that, I do feel like it's a blessing in disguise) Robbie Earnshaw who I would welcome back and think the rest of the CG would too or Ricardo Fuller who's name was banded around in January with wages being an issue. Unfortunately, I can't see how that's any different this time around.

Also a mention for the chants from the minority of Derby supporters at the end. Yes it was shameful and it was disgusting but let's not give them the attention. Instead, let's commend Blackstock and Tyson for stating how they felt on twitter while the Derby owners should be applauded for quickly coming out and stating their position. It was all handled rather smoothly.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. A week on and we go and score 7 away at Leeds, a day before Brian Clough's birthday. If Carlsberg did football results!

Simply incredible scoreline and what's more, the team showed real fight and passion to win it. Going behind early on before being pegged back at 3-3, we could have crumbled. But we didn't and I would have happily paid the £34 quid to go and watch that!

I expect a big crowd for the visit of high flying Brighton and expect it to be a very tough game. But if we can remain undefeated, we are giving ourselves a real chance of confirming survival long before those final day nerves.

No arrogance yet though, I'm still expecting plenty more twists and turns!



No comments:

Post a Comment