Sunday 15 January 2012

NFFC vs Southampton 14.1.12

Well the unbeaten start to 2012 lasted long didn't it? All of two games.

The short duration of potential excitement and almost anticipation for the next game has well and truly left us after we were taught a lesson by league leaders Southampton.

Following the result, I received a few texts saying 'I see Forest are doing well' and sarcastic comments such as this. I don't blame these people for the banter, if their team were in a similar situation, I'd be firing the comments right back at them. It's part and parcel of being so vocal about who you support.

By my biggest frustration is the fact they are making assumptions purely from the scoreline. I'm not saying this is wrong, we all do it. I saw a few scores yesterday and thought 'bloody hell, they've had a nightmare' when in fact, they've just not had the luck of the green.

Yesterday was, for me, another example of this. For the first half yesterday, admittedly we weren't at our best. But we weren't played off the park by the Saints. We moved the ball well, we created chances and both Lynch and Harewood should have put us in front before Southampton took the lead.

Furthermore, the sending off of Chambers changed the game. I'm not blaming this or using it as an excuse, but few teams in the division would be able to contain the league leaders with 10 men for 45 minutes.

I take nothing away from Southampton, you can see why they are in the top spot. They attacked with pace, they were direct and all players were comfortable on the ball.

They also took their chances. As I've replied in many of my texts, the performances are moving in the right direction. But performances don't gain you points.

Maybe I'm too optamistic. Maybe I haven't had enough experience of football in general to be able to see what's so obviously coming around the corner.

But I'm bored of the inaccurate comments. I've said before and I'll say it again that I don't believe we'll be relegated, I'll put my student loan on it. It's a small positive, but Millwall's spanking against Birmingham suggests a side really lacking confidence and in freefall. Ipswich's collapse of a 2-0 lead suggests a team lacking belief that they can see out a game.

Sure, you can link it to Forest. But the variables were against us yesterday. This included an appalling set of officials and seeing as I'm allowed to have my opinion and not get fined by the FA, I would go on record of stating that I hope they are never able to set foot on the same pitch as Nottingham Forest again. The referee had an appalling game. Simple decisions wrong. One example was Gareth McCleary down the left flank, was slide challenged and the ball went behind for a corner. All areas of the ground erupted into encouraging cheers and both sets of players went to take their positions in the box. The referee gives a goal kick. It may seem like a minor call, but Southampton had problems from balls into the box all afternoon and had Forest got a goal back at that point, (we were 2-0 down), the game could have changed dramatically.

As for the red card, I'm not even sure he was going to give a free kick until he saw the reaction of the Saints players. He panicked, thought he'd missed something and was peer pressured into giving a red.

Now, I'm not a biased fan. I don't believe Forest are the greatest team in the world, and I don't live on past glories in Europe. But I do believe that ref has been peer pressured into that and Forest should most definitely appeal. However, it's all corrupt and the FA won't want to be seen as not supporting their officials so are likely to announce the appeal as unsuccessful.

It's so infuriating. Dexter Blackstock has been recieving treatment like that and more for the past couple of weeks and barely won a free kick. It's inconsistent and the standard of refereeing at the City Ground in past weeks has been nothing short of woeful.

Camp- Was at fault for the third goal and just seemed a bit indifferent throughout the afternoon. Did make a couple of great saves at the end, but too little, too late by then. 5/10
Gunter- I've said it before that Gunts seems more focussed on going forward and delivering that perfect ball that his defensive duties seem to be taking a back seat. Wasn't one of his best performances. Transfer rumours affecting him? Possibly. 6/10
Chambers-Again, wasn't as good as he could have been but marshalled the defence well. Was never a sending off and will feel really hard done by. 6/10
Lynch- Didn't seem settled throughout the game. Went chasing after balls that were never his. Possibly is missing Wes next to him. 6/10
Cunningham- As mentioned above, just wasn't on his A-Game. Attempted to get forward and offer an option but the ball rarely made it too him on the left flank. Was beaten too easily on far too much occasions as well. 5/10
McCleary- Tough game for Gareth. The problem with the performances he's been putting in is teams are going to single him out as the dangerman. It happened yesterday and he was so quickly closed down and marked out of the game, the right winger struggled to get involved. 6/10
Greening- Does the simple stuff well. But after a few encouraging games where he really looked to be settling in the midfield, he went a step backwards. Bottled a few challenges in the middle and was always second to the loose ball. 6/10
Moussi- Offers a lot of strength, power and energy in the middle of the park. Missed him hugely when he was put in the centre of defence. There are still plenty of areas of his game that needs work, but he was one of the brighter performers in yesterday's game. 7/10
McGugan- Similarly to McCleary, was heavily marked out of the game as the Saints completely dominated midfield. But at 2-0 he went missing and it's not good enough. We need everyone to be pulling in the same direction and McGugan, at times, just doesn't seem interested. 5/10
Harewood- My man of the match. Power, strength, energy and even a bit of pace at times. Southampton's defence really struggled to contain him at times and the sooner he is match fit, the better. He could play a big part in the remainder of this seaon. 8/10
Tudgay- Should be overflowing with confidence after his performance at Ipswich. But in the two home games since then, he's struggled to make his mark. Is that linked with the fact a certain Andy Reid is missing? Possibly. But it makes no excuse, he's a striker and there to score goals. The delivery to him was very poor yesterday. Link back to Reid? 6/10
Anderson- Nice to see Ando back and giving his all. Really wanted to get involved and made himself available for the ball. Had a couple of runs down the right flank and offered some balance in the midfield. 7/10
Findley- People will happily slate Findley. Fair enough, he's not offering us any threat. But he is receiving appalling service. 'USA' is at his most dangerous when you give him something to run on to, he has endless amounts of pace and unlike a certain Tyson, he can finish as well. When the delivery is improved, Findley will put the ball in the next; i guarantee it.
Blackstock- Similarly to Findley, struggled to make an impact. Came on and within three minutes, the game was over. I'll always remember Davies' first season at the club when Blackstock was on loan and he rifled that volley in against Bristol City which pretty much guaranteed our safety. We need him to find that fight and passion again, without Davies there to spur him on. 6/10

I always like to listen to Radio Nottingham post match. Whatever the result, I always find they are able to relay the game's details and its consequences in the best manner. They did it yesterday in fine fashion as per usual. I suggest, as I do every week, that some fans have a listen to it, the problems we've had since this summer are ridiculous and unthinkable that it would happen to one club all in one season.

I'm a huge Cotterill fan, he's blunt, honest, down to earth and he doesn't seem to be fazed by much. Yet his post match interview yesterday was brutal at the best of times. I suggest if you didn't hear it, give it a listen on BBC Sport. It was the first time that I was disappointed with his responses and I hope his negativity isn't rubbing off in the dressing room.

Dare I suggest that if it is, Warnock or a certain Billy Davies are available?

IM JOKING. Manager's need time. Steve Cotterill will be a good appointment for this job. No more upheaval. Quick fixes never fix anything.

On to Tuesday night and the replay against Leicester. I've spoke to a few fans who are really pumped for it and disappointed we aren't taking more fans.

But even though I've spent my hard earned student loan on a ticket, I won't be too disappointed to see us lose. We don't need any distractions away from the league this season, nor do we need any games that could result in needless injuries or suspensions. There are positives such as a win on Tuesday could lift everyone once more and if we beat Leicester and then Swindon, we could be rewarded with a lovely money spinning tie against one of the big boys that would given us some much needed revenue.

However, the way our luck has gone this season, I doubt that would happen for us.

On the subject of revenue, very interesting that Derbyshire was left out of the 16 yesterday. Is he on his way out? It would be fanastic if he was. To get his wage bill off the books would allow us to do some 'trading'.
I somehow don't think he was left out because of that though. Maybe because he's been absoutely dreadful? That's probably more like it.

Robin Chipperfield said on Radio Nottingham that if feels like the season we went down under Megson. I disagree and I have a hell of a lot more faith in Cotterill than the clueless ginger idiot.

I just hope I'm right. My student loan is riding on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment