Friday 13 January 2012

NFFC vs Leicester 7.1.12 - FA Cup

Last time I wrote an entry for this blog, the mood around the City Ground was negative, depressing and dull as relegation seemed to be beckoning. 2011 had not been a good year.

Then five minutes into the beginning of the football calendar in 2012, Marcus Tudgay popped up with a superb goal to settle everyone down again. It's amazing how one goal can change everyone's feelings. Make no mistake of Tuds' finish, that is a sublime effort.

Gareth McClearly continued his good form with a superb solo effort, a goal that the Ipswich commontators described as 'the best goal you will see this season at Portman Road'; quite the accolade I'm sure you'll agree. 

Tudgay added a 3rd and everything was nice and rosy in the world of Nottingham Forest again.

Well no, actually. 

It was a superb win and a muchly needed win. From previous posts, you'll know that I'm all about the positivity and believe me, when that final whistle went, I was on another level of positivity. 

But the game oozed two relegation candidates in defence terms. It could have, and probably should have been 2-2 at half time and anything from 4-4 at full time.

It was also nice to see Reidy involved in all three goals. He's had a bit of an indifferent start to the season but I really do think he's beginning to find his form and his experience and ability is indespensible at this level.

But the football gods finally decided to shine on us and we moved forward to the FA encounter with our East Midlands neighbours, Leicester City.

Leicester are so desperate to be rivals for us, but I think I echo the majority of fans views when I say, we're really not that fussed. Yes, we don't like them, but it's nothing compared to the rivalry we share with our friends down the other end of the A52.

As for the game itself, it wasn't a classic. It didn't have that FA Cup feel to it, no tempo, no excitement, no heat to the game.

From what people have told me, I missed the best chances of the game in the opening five minutes as I made my way to the seat.

We appear to have a brilliant knack of discovering goalkeeper's in their best vein of form, and Kasper Schmeichel was another one to add to the list.

Both teams set up to frustrate each other and in the end we just cancelled each other out. Neither side got beyond the opposition's back line and the game just sort of petered away.

The draw for the 4th round didn't do much to inspire either side to get the win next Tuesday but the victorious team will fancy their chances of beating Swindon and all of a sudden, you're in the last 16 of the FA Cup.

Although I'll be there next Tuesday, rooting the lads on. I don't fancy our chances. I think, and I don't blame him, that Cotterill is firmly focussed on keeping Nottingham Forest in the Championship this season. If it was between that result and a game against Swindon and possibly a money-earning tie in the following round, I know which route I'd want to go down.

Admittedly, I did begin doing the player's ratings but I found that for every player, I was writing the same thing: 'Didn't do too much wrong, just lacked that spark, creativity or passion that is normally in their game'.

Must mention the debut of Keiron Freeman. Make no mistake, that is one hell of a game to go and make your debut in and I thought he handled the situation superbly. Nothing extraordinary, did the simple stuff well and was rarely beaten down when defending the left flank. Offered us an attacking outlet as well.

Almost disappointed that he's moved across the river today to join Notts County for a month. But Cunningham will be our first choice and it would be unfair of Cotterill to expect Freeman to go back to the reserves and youth team, or even sit on the bench when he could be gaining some muchly needed experience for a team that is doing well in just a division below. I hope it's a successful spell.

So tomorrow, we welcome league leaders Southampton to the City Ground. Quite honestly, I'm not sure we could be playing them at a better time. Not in great form with only two wins in eight and their lead at the top has been slashed from a 5 point gap to just goal difference

They're conceding goals at quite a rate although 'keeper Kelvin Davis is fit for tomorrow and make no bones about it, he's a superb shot-stopper at this level.

However, I haven't heard any appeal from the Saints regarding the red card of Rickie Lambert's red card meaning the striker will be serving his suspension. Another plus for the Reds.

We need to keep the pressure on those above us and with Millwall seemingly in freefall, there's a serious chance we could be out of the bottom three by 5pm tomorrow.

With the London team having to play an in-form Birmingham side, I really do fancy tomorrow to be a good day. 

I just hope I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment