Friday 2 December 2011

NFFC vs Leeds United 29.11.11

First and foremost, apologies for this blog being three days late.

In reference to my earlier entry, I said that I was on work experience. Despite returning from London, I have missed two weeks worth of university so to say I'm snowed under with assignments would be somewhat of an understatement.

However, after the dismal defeat on Tuesday night, it's probably lucky that I have been unable to write the entry, as it just would have been a full blown rant on the debacle that took place in front of me.

The performance was so appalling, so lacklustre, so embarrassing, that I'm not even sure where to start.

I'm not, and never have been a 'boo boy'. I'm a firm believer in being a supporter and 'supporting' the team whenever I watch them. From playing amateur football on a Saturday and Sunday morning, I know how an encouraging comment can inspire you so much more than a derogatory comment.

But even I was having to really try to stop my vocal chords from issuing the low, booming sound of a 'boooo'. Both at half time and full time.

I really felt like we were making progress under Cotterill, even the games we had lost, had come from us not taking our chances, not because we weren't in the game.

I can't put my finger on it. Maybe just Leeds were so pumped because of Gary Speed's death and their hope to credit it. Let's make no mistake, the media were loving the fact that the headline and the angle was pretty much assured from the moment Leeds went ahead: 'That's for Gary'.
Please don't think I'm slating the Welshman, his death was an awful tragedy and a huge shock for the world of football.

But from the first moment, we simply didn't have a defence. Whether he's captain or not, Chambers must be dropped. I've been a fan of Chambo, but take that captain's armband off him and bring in a international right back that is wasting away on the bench.

I'd forgotten about Gunts, I must admit, but how are we leaving him out? He's our most consistent and reliable player by a country mile.

Wes and Lynch were a shambles and Cunningham looked way out of his depth all night.

I could go through the whole squad and slate them. The only player who showed any passion and drive for Andy Reid, and he got himself sent off.

In addition to this, I listened to the post match interview with Cotterill where he stated that it wasn't a time to raise his voice, because it 'wouldn't help matters'.

Are you joking?

For some reason, there is a disgusting arrogance amongst our squad. We believe that we should be winning games because of their little ego's and the stature of our club.

After the Ipswich game, we were SEVEN points clear of relegation. SEVEN! Granted, a lot of the teams around us are winning games, Bristol City in particular have had an amazing turnaround. But we clearly thought we were safe and sound and the play offs were beckoning.

Well, forget that. Because it's nearly christmas and make no mistakes about it, we're in a relegation battle.

I have no doubts, Coventry and Doncaster will be relegated. Too much to turn around at both clubs. But that 3rd place is up for grabs and at the moment, we're filling in.

January will be huge. I don't know the funds we have but there needs to be signings. There needs to be competition for places and we simply need more ability.

Dexter Blackstock's return will also be vital as well.

Camp: Unsurprisingly had a shocker. Distrubution was awful. Shot stopping was awful. Absolute shambles. 3/10
Chambers: Goes forward, tries to give options but is not a right back. Moved across to centre back and didn't improve any further. 3/10
Morgan: Was mugged off by Luciano Becchio for the duration of the night. Never got involved in the pace of the game and his passing was awful. No link with Lynch. 3/10
Lynch: After being the main player since the season began, he had an absolute shocker. At fault for the second goal, chasing a header that was never meant to be his. Dreadful night. Probably the best defender on the night though. Says a lot. 4/10
Cunningham: Completely out of sorts all night, never looked comfortable on the ball and was caught in possession numerous times. 1/10
Anderson: Probably my man of the match. Stuggled to stay disciplined to his right wing but was direct and offered an attacking threat. 5/10
McGugan: Went missing as per usual when things aren't going right. Can't remember a single thing he did all night come to think about it. Dreadful. 1/10
Reid: Brought back into the side for recent subtitute appearances. Showed it in glimpses but lack of proffessionalism by getting sent off, but at least he showed some fight and passion. Dead ball deliveries were appalling as well. Not a good night. 4/10
Moussi: I don't think I can put into words how dreadful his performance was. Absolute shambles. It was a performance that wouldn't have got into Wollaton FC - my sunday league team. And we weren't great.
Tudgay: Never had a partnership with Findley all night, little kid lost all night. 3/10
Findley: Never showed his pace and ability, probably due to the delivery of balls but had a nightmare, just like the rest of his teammates. 2/10

Cotterill said we need to do some trading in January.

I personally cannot wait, cos we bloody need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment