Friday 26 August 2011

NFFC August Generalisation

With an away game in midweek that I was unable to get to, I was unable to post my post match thoughts.
However, I did see the highlights and was extremely pleased with what I saw.
We appeared to move the ball at a good pace and all looked comfortable with it. Miller's finish was superb and it's been a while since we've had a striker who looks confident in a 1 on 1 position.
Ishmael appeared to be causing havoc and Wycombe's defenders looked frightened to even attempt to challenge him. Won the penalty which McGugan dispatched...just.
For the second goal, Greening won the ball in midfield and played a sublime pass through to the striker. This is what he should be doing, week in, week out. I hope it continues but I'm not fooled that it was against league two opposition.
Findley's finish oozed confidence as he completely fooled three defenders before scoring and Majewski completed the rout with the easiest of finishes after brilliant work from Garner.
The striker's persistance to win the ball and then look up and play the right pass was vital. McClaren would be far more pleased to see intelligence from Garner and team qualities instead of the striker, who is desperate to open his account, to shoot and miss.
The only blotch was the penalty for Wycombe but that seemed harsh as Lynch caught the attacker's heels.
Very pleased to go through and it's nice to have a bit of cup success for once. I'd quite happily draw a lower league team with the hope of progression further rather than a money spinning tie against a Premier League time which results in a demoralising defeat.
As the first month of the season draws to an end, I would rate it as a reasonable success. Only one defeat along with the incredible comebacks against Notts County and Leicester City. The team is beginning to gel and with the acquisitions of Miller and Derbyshire, I believe we are a team on the up. Would like to see a left back and a winger brought in before the end of the transfer window but we'll see what happens on that front. I do hear Max Gradel is target. As a pacey, direct winger, he ticks all the boxes.
But I can't see how a move to a fellow championship rival would be appealing to Gradel or Leeds United. Just watch this space I suppose.
All eyes point towards Sunday now and the big clash with West Ham United. A team that had started the season very well. It will be after this game, that we really can judge ourselves and our hopes for this season.
I just hope we start from the very first whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment